Artist German (Nuremberg)
Title
  • Right Spaulder (shoulder defense)
  • Maximilian Armor
  • Pair of Spaulders (alternate title)
Date ca. 1520
Medium Steel, leather
Dimensions Overall: 9 × 7 × 4 3/16 inches, 1.1 pounds (22.9 × 17.8 × 10.6 cm, 0.5 kg)
Credit Line Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene H. Welker
Accession Number 56.124.5A
Department European Sculpture and Dec Arts
Not On View
Marks stamped, on outer edge of top lame, one of the guild marks of Nuremberg [the coat of arms of Nuremberg: a shield, divided, with an imperial eagle and five bends]
stamped, on the inner edge of the top lame, one of the guild marks of Nuremberg [an “N”]

Until 1951, William Randolph Hearst, Saint Donat's Castle (Llantwitt Major, Wales).
From 1951, the National Magazine Company, Ltd. (London, England)
1956, purchased by the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA).
Thomas, Burno, and Ortwin Gamber, DIE INNSBRUCKER PLATTNERKUNST, Innsbruck, 1954, pp. 72-73

Bulletin of the DIA, vol. 36, no. 3, 1956-57, p. 69 (ill)